Saturday, March 3, 2012

A story of my journey to complete Mass Effect 2 SPOILERS AHEAD!

Ok, I am excited. Mass Effect 3 is going to end a story that I have built. Sort of anyway... I am going to tell you a story of a boy and his game. It is a short story that has a (SPOILER) happy ending. There are mild spoilers ahead from the first two games, so do not read if you haven't played them.

I had the first Mass Effect on my 360. I played the hell out of it. Defeated Saren, killed off Kaiden, by God I didn't even kill off Wrex! I had a magnificent paragonish heroine that survived Sovereign and saved the Council. I even slept with Liara. My file was glorious and I had some amazingly high hopes for what lay ahead for FBeej Shepard. Then I got Mass Effect 2 on my 360 and played through about a quarter of the way when my disc got damaged. I didn't buy a new one and it just sat there unfinished. Later on, I got a copy of Mass Effect 2 as a gift for my PC. Boy was I ever excited for that! I would finally finish what I started, kinda. I didn't have MY Shepard. Sure, her name was FBeej because I'm creative and all, and I only played though one game with her, but she was mine.

Sadness again struck on the PC version of Mass Effect 2 for me. I was playing through some of the Overlord DLC pack and for some strange reason when I began to travel the world in the hovercraft my computer crashed to a blue screen of death! I was interested, and from that point forward, whenever I tried to keep going I would blue screen. I know I could have just quit the mission and it would have been done, but that wasn't the point. I wanted to play the entire game, not miss out on any of it.

So my saga continued on to my PS3, at this point in the story I no longer had a 360. I purchased the game for the second time (third if you count the PC present) and began my playthrough. I played the motion comic making the big decisions from the first game which was nice to be able to do. Killed Kaiden, Saved the council and Wrex, slept with Liara. I had a shell of what was my former FBeej Shepard. I was alright with her. As I played through Mass Effect 2 I realized just how far I didn't make it when I was playing on my PC or my 360. I only had Miranda, Jacob, Mordin, and Garrus. I didn't have half the available squad members even! I kept on playing, getting all of my crew members, including the DLC ones like Kasumi and Zaeed. Things were going so swimmingly I figured I would have to eventually screw something up, and I did, I lost Miranda's loyalty by siding with Jack. The story moved along and I assumed I was going to lose a lot when I progressed into the end game. But by some act of divine intervention, I slept with Garrus and made it through the Omega 4 Relay into the Collector base without a single casualty. I have no idea how it happened. I moved on through picking my team and splitting up duties. By the final boss fight I had what I felt was the worst squad I could have, Soldier FBeej, Tali, and Kasumi. Holy crap what a terrible decision that was. (My usual squad was Garrus and Zaeed or Mordin, I like to deal a lot of pain very quickly) I had to change up my tactics but we made it through fighting the final boss and a thousand different Collector Drones. I was awarded with my ending cut scene. I had finished Mass Effect 2 and was happy to say that I did not have any casualties within my crew and happy with my Shepard.

FBeej Shepard lived with her crew and I was sad. I had finished a game that I loved so dearly. The only thing left for me to do was wait impatiently for Mass Effect 3 to come out. Thankfully, we won't have to wait too much longer, it comes out in three days! I don't know about you guys but I cannot wait to see the end to FBeej Shepard's story. I will have a review up as quickly as I can, but please be patient with this one as it is going to take a while. I have Tuesday and Wednesday off of work so I will be playing extensively. Also, I am getting the Collectors Edition so I'll be sure to tell you guys how much awesomeness Bioware packed into an $80.00 package.

Several side notes - 1. You guys should read the Mass Effect novels. They are fantastic not only at expanding the universe of Mass Effect, but they're decent Sci-Fi novels too. 2. GamesWithBeej is thankful for your support and as always I'm going to take this chance to remind you to share us with your friends. We want to become something awesome, and we can't do it alone. 3. Potential other reviews down the road: Minecraft(maybe), Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City(maybe), Diablo 3(for sure), Prototype 2(maybe), Max Payne 3(maybe). Well, that's all for this update guys. See You Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment