Tuesday, January 31, 2012

SoulCalibur 5 Review (PS3)

Here's the thing, I want to love this game. I love this series. SoulCalibur has been my favorite fighting series since the first SoulCalibur game on the Dreamcast way back when. But, while I do enjoy this iteration, I feel like I was shorted a little bit. The game has a boat-load of new characters, there is a (kinda) new critical edge system, and a story that is actually kind of a story, but I still kind of feel like I was cheated. Here's why:

Graphically, this game isn't breaking any new ground. That said, it does look pretty good. The environments are very well rendered and the character models are great. The movements are fluid and hit detection is better this time around than it has been. The sound design is also great. Background music ranges from a handful of new songs to some older ones from games past. Character voices, while occasionally VERY annoying, are very well done. The actors did justice to their characters and reflect the various personalities well.

Gameplay is where SoulCalibur 5 is more or less unchanged. Button presses are responsive, combos are easy to pull off, and the fighting is very well balanced. The fights do seem to move quicker and character movement are smooth and look fairly realistic. The Critical Edge system is a more or less new mechanic to the game that offers good players a way to destroy their opponents while giving not so good players the chance to make a comeback by delivering a super hit. There is a story mode for you to play through and there is a decent story of kidnap, revenge, and double cross to play through, but the problem there is that it only took me about two hours to get through. After that is done there are online battles and an arcade mode to play through. There is also the quick battle system where you get to pick between four computer chosen opponents to fight against from the comfort of your own couch. Also included is the ability to create your own fighters or modify already created ones. This is pretty much like it has been for the last two games so I don't feel I need to spend too much time here. Finally, the last couple things you can do is create and customize your own "player card" basically a way for you to identify yourself online from the other players. The final thing is the ability to register up to three opponents to be your "rivals". These players are ones you can track and compare stats, and challenge to fights over the internet.

On a side note, I did buy the collectors edition of the game. It came with a 100 page hard cover art book, the game, a making of Blu-Ray, a DLC voucher for two armor sets for character creation, and a soundtrack CD.  The game comes in a nice hard cover book type case and it is all very well put together. The art book is very nice and has some fantastic artwork in it.

So, basically, the game is pretty much the same. There isn't much for you to do after you beat the depressingly short story mode and you will find yourself bored looking for online matches to pass the time. Honestly, I do not feel like this game is worth the full price of sixty dollars. I'm disappointed with the developers for putting this game out and not giving us anything new. I'm awarding a 7/10 on this one. I say rent it, don't buy it. Thank you for reading, and as always, See You Online.

1 comment:

  1. I had Soul Calibur for my Dreamcast, still have the Dreamcast but I think I traded in Soul Calibur for credit towards Resident Evil: Code Veronica, which I thought was OK but I regretted that one. The few times I've parted with games I've regretted it, so I just collect anymore.
    Anyways, I remember Soul Calibur for Dreamcast being exciting, its story mode was pretty awesome and seemed to last a while. I played 2 and 3 and while very enjoyable, it just wasn't the same.

    ReplyDelete