Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Update 1

This is the first in what will be a small series of updates about this game. First off, Thank you to 38 Studios and Big Huge Games. I'm not too far into the game right now, but what I'm playing is great. Now on to the actual game talk.

The introduction was fairly quick to get you into the game. Character creation was reasonably detailed but very easy to complete. There are four races for you to choose from, each one gets several bonuses in different abilities. From that point you are thrown into the world of Amalur without a weapon or armor. Throughout the course of the tutorial you were able to use four different weapons to try and help you get a feel for what you liked and it helped to demonstrate how the different styles played. Abilities were gradually introduced in a fashion that didn't overwhelm. The interior graphics didn't wow me but once I completed the intro section and was let outside, I was impressed. The forest was beautifully rendered and had a glow to it. I literally mean there was a bit of a glow to the forest. Most things in this game have a shine, which can be a bit distracting.

I haven't played through a lot of quests, mostly because I keep getting distracted by other things like collecting and crafting. The best way that I can describe this game is a combo of Skyrim (size) and Fable (Gameplay) Combat does not feel like it did in Skyrim, the moves actually seem to have impact and I truly feel badass when I'm fighting a group of enemies.

The character you play as is voiceless but the other NPC's are fully voiced and they help to add story to the world. There is a LOT of history that was written for this world and it shows. You can have conversations with nearly anybody on the street you choose and they tell you about the town and events that are going on.

So far, I'm very impressed with this game and look forward to a very long play time. This review is going to take some time and I hope you all have the patience to get through it with me. UFC Undisputed 3 is also being worked on so keep an eye out for that review in the next few days or so. Until next time, See You Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment