Friday, November 18, 2011

An older review I wrote - Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars (360)

Lego games are everywhere as of late. That's not bad at all (huge lego fan here) but they are starting to wear a little thin on me. Every game is pretty much the same thing - smash bricks collect, collect money, find things, unlock things, and repeat. This is a great formula for the type of game but it is getting a bit old and tiresome. That said, the third iteration of Lego Star Wars takes place within the confines of the Clone Wars TV Series. The graphics are upgraded but the mechanics are still like they always have been.

First things first, graphically this game is great for a Lego game. The lighting and reflectiveness of the surfaces have received major upgrades. Surfaces are shiny like they are really made of Lego bricks and there is even minor (temporary) environment damage from lightsaber smashes. When standing against a wall with your lightsaber out it will spark off the wall and even make a noise like it's actively cutting. These are nice additions.

Gameplay is virtually identical to any other Lego Star Wars game out there. Level progression is pretty much the same. The cutscenes have had a lot of work put into them and are longer than past games have been. The trademarked humor is still there and I even found myself chuckling at Lego Jar-Jar Binks. I know, a cardinal sin but I couldn't help myself. I did however, find this game to be a bit more annoying due to some segments where both characters were apart and you were forced to actively switch between them to enable the other character to do something. There is also a little less direction than I would have liked in some of the levels. That's not to say I want to have my hand held the entire way, but an arrow once and a while would be nice. I'm not as familiar with "The Clone Wars" show, but the few episodes I have seen helped me get through some levels that I had some difficulty with. There are quite a few characters to unlock as you play, as is standard with Lego games. There are the main ones (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Asokah) and a few minor ones (The forgettable one-off clones and that  traitor R2 droid that I can't remember the name of) which as always make replaying as someone you want to be more fun.

Sound is pretty much the same as any other Lego game. There aren't any words really, just grunts and whimpers from your Lego people. So...yeah.

All in all, this is pretty much the same package we've played so many times before that it is starting to get stale. I did have fun with it, don't get me wrong. I'm just getting bored of the same formula. Even though it merges two of my favorite things in Lego bricks and Star Wars, I'm going to have to go with a 7/10 on this game.

See you online.

No comments:

Post a Comment